|Grooming - Eyebrows
Get the right shape for your face.
· Find a shape that suits your face, and stick with it, don't try to keep up with fashions that won't suit you.
· The inside edge of your eyebrow should align with the inner corner of your eye.
· The arch of your eyebrow should follow the curve of your upper eyeline.
· The easiest way to find how long your eyebrow should be is to imagine the under-eye line continued to where it would meet with the eyebrow.
Plucking Less Is More
· Do this the day before your shoot or go-see or you'll be left with unsightly redness.
· Brush your brow into it's natural shape with a an old mascara wand or eyebrow brush.
· Hold a warm flannel over your brow to make it easier to pull the hairs.
· Don't pluck above your natural eyebrow line or on the top of your brows.
· Don't over-pluck, or you'll will end up looking permanently surprised.
· Use sharp, good quality tweezers, or the hairs will break off instead of pulling out, which could lead to infection.
· Do a single hair at a time. Grip the hair firmly and pull it in the direction in which it grows.
· First take out any stray hairs in the middle bit above your nose. It will help you get used to the feeling of plucking the hair because it is usually less sensitive here than above the eyes.
· If it really hurts, apply a little teething gel to the area a few minutes before you start. This will numb the skin.
· Start plucking from underneath the eyebrow, working from the inside, by the nose, to the outside.
· Check your brows balance in the mirror. Then use a cold flannel to reduce redness.
If In doubt
If you still don't feel brave enough or don't know where to start, go to a beautician's and get your brows plucked professionally. Then you can just pluck the odd stray hair before going back and getting it done again. Never shave your eyebrows they grow back wild and can encourage in growing hairs.
Makeup artistes use them all the time. The pencil is to enhance not replace the eyebrow and it is usually a very light brown pencil not black. Black pencils are used for theatre and are very popular with drag queens.
Estee Lauder makes a great pencil for eyebrows in shade blonde. This is a soft retractable pencil. Go to a counter and ask the assistant to demonstrate how it works on you and then you should practice on the other eye.
I would recommend you do this a few times to get that hang of it and you can even ask more than one assistant to demonstrate. It's always best to choose an assistant in the store that has nice eyebrows, as they are more likely to make yours look good.